Saturday, June 12, 2010

A lucid moment within the madness:

Last night, I had the most insane dream.

I'm no newcomer to weird moments, and you'll know that if you spend more than five minutes with me on a good day. But for some reason, my mind decided to paint some kind of vivid picture in my brain that I couldn't get rid of.

Dreams have always had a sort of grip on me, whether it be good or bad. For some reason, this one was just...surreal, I guess is the word. Usually, I don't have that level of self-awareness in a dream, and I can't control the events in it, if that makes sense. And if I do, by odd chance, come to terms that I am dreaming, I usually wake up before I can take advantage of things.

This time, however, I had this moment of lucidity where I knew that I was dreaming. So, being the weirdo that I am, I decided to try to change up the dream I was having, just for kicks.

I was flying. I love flying dreams, because usually they feel so real. Anyway, I was flying/running from someone, and I finally lost them. Then again, they might have just gotten bored. So I as I flew, I came to this realization that I would never be able to fly in real life. And I fell. Right into the ocean.

Suddenly, I felt the need to find a reflection of myself, since I knew I was dreaming. I looked down into the water I was swimming in, and just caught view of my terrified face before this 50-foot sea monster swallowed me whole.

I woke up, but not covered in sweat or gasping for air or anything corny. Surprisingly, I was pretty calm. I couldn't get back to sleep, which was a result of the quasi-insomnia I'd been experiencing lately. I'd never had trouble sleeping, and I think it may have something to do with the fact that it's summer. God, I hope not. How many more months of this do we have?

I spent the next fifteen minutes or so pondering my dream. I am a believer in meaningful dreams, and I feel that a dream in your brain's way of reflecting on deep inner thoughts while you're unconscious.

Still curious the next morning, I woke up and searched google for some good ol' online dream counseling. I felt as if I was in desperate need if ever. My search ended with me finding a great site, dreammoods.com . Naturally, I headed to the dream dictionary and searched for the term 'fall'. This is what the site told me my inner thoughts were:

"To dream that you fall and are frightened, indicates a lack of control, insecurity, and/or lack of support in your waking life. You may be experiencing some major struggle and/or overwhelming problem. It may denote that you have failed to achieve a goal that you have set forth for yourself."

I also searched for the term, "flying", and this is what the site gave me: 

Flying dreams fall under a category of dreams known as lucid dreaming. Lucid dreams occur when you become aware that you are dreaming. Many dreamers describe the ability to fly in their dreams as an exhilarating, joyful, and liberating experience.

If you are flying with ease and enjoying the scene and landscape below, then it suggests that you are on top of a situation. You have risen above something. It may also mean that you have gained a different perspective on things. Flying dreams and the ability to control your flight is representative of your own personal sense of power.

Having difficulties staying in flight indicates a lack of power in controlling your own circumstances. You may be struggling to stay aloft and stay on course. Things like power lines, trees, or mountains may further obstruct your flight. These barriers represent a particular obstacle or person who is standing in your way in your waking life. You need to identify who or what is hindering you from moving forward. It may also be an indication of a lack of confidence. You need to believe in yourself and not be afraid.


This little endeavor of mine only sparked my interest further. I believe I will begin to track my dreams, and maybe be able to read the clues my mind is leaving me. 

What do you think of dreams? What was your oddest dream? What does dreammoods.com say that your dream meant? 

*greta 

No comments:

Post a Comment